BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Im Not Light Skin, Im Khaki

While perusing bloggerland and checking out the recent updates, I came across Greg's update about Red Bitches or African American women of a lighter complexion for those that are easily offended. Check it out here for his post.



Greg mentions that a Red Bitch (err light skin woman) can do no wrong in his book and goes on to challenge his readers to name an ugly lightskinned celebrity. For sake of proving a point, I said Tiny. Sorry but, as I said in the comments of his blog, Tiny looks like a badger in the face.

Moving on...

Now, I'm a lighter complected woman and I don't think that I'm superior or more attractive than the next woman and I find it hard to believe that people- yeah, not only men- still have this "light is right" mentality. I've actually heard someone say that they saw a lightskin woman that gave other lightskin women a bad name because of how "ugly" she was. What the fuck kinda bullshit is that? Do lightskin women automatically get some "shorty is the shit" card that I don't know about?

Is America still holding up brown paper bags to judge beauty? It's 2009 and we have a black president but we still have the mindset of our ancestors when it comes to color. Makes me wonder if we would've voted for Barack had he been of a darker complexion.

I digress-

There are still people that think that it's easier for me just because I'm light skin. Excuse me but the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I may get a lot of attention because I'm the typical LSLH chick but please believe that it isn't always positive attention. I've had dudes tell me that they've always wanted to get with a light skinned chick or they find my complexion so sexy. I tell them "Im not lightskin, Im Khaki" and delete them (yup- that's where Khaki came from ). I don't want someone to want me or think that I'm attractive strictly based off of my complexion and anyone that rolls down their windows and yell "Hey LightSkin" will get the ugliest glare my face can muster up.

Furthermore, I refuse to give a chick the stamp of beauty just because she's light skin. Hell no, wont do it! I've seen enough mud duck, flat foot, buck tooth, split end, nappy track, skin looking like Braille light skin creatures in my 23 years to detest that claim.

For every Beyonce there is a Chrisette Michelle. For every Halle Berry, there is a Gabrielle Union. Shit... Naomi Campbell is in her 40's and is still trumping the modeling game right now.

I have no problem with preference in who you want to date but claiming that all or most women that are "red" are beautiful is just impractical and further proves that ignorance is still alive and thriving in the black community.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree. Its Ok to have a preference as to whom you wish to date. But dont think that one complexion of a woman is better than the next. yea clearly ignoran ce is still roaming thru the black community, as well as everywhere else.

NightFall914 said...

Such an outdated mind frame.

Beauty id Beauty and not bound by limits of complexion.

sunshinestar110 said...

i just had this discussion with my friend about him thinking Light skin women are more superior than darker skin!! And it made me sick to my stomach. What happened to loving a person as is, about being attracted to there mind, soul and spirit! why must it be about skin tone.

Anonymous said...

so true.
im lght skin myself and hear about being too light.

the funny thing is last spring break i got hella dark and they complained then.

oh well this issue will never die down.

check ma blog.

akafamous.blogspot.com

hope yu decide to follow

Anonymous said...

wow.. thats terrible. but i still have to remeber that people do have a preference.. because i don't prefer light skin guys.. yet i dont discriminate.. i just don't prefer it... and that "challenge" wasn't even a challenge.. please. lol and you gone have to put that link up again.. cause it wont go to it.. i wanna read this!! lol

Anonymous said...

oh and the challenge wasn't a challenge cause u killed that quick... lol

khaki la'docker said...

@starz... my bad- link shld work now.

P. White said...

it never ceases to amaze me that men still think this way and they do..i have talked to men who said they wouldn't talk to somebody who was darker than them....never mind they got to know this person but just because they are darker than them....

wow what a crazy world we live in

Epitome said...

Khaki sisters unite! I did a post about this not too long ago and you and me...

"We here Gina...we here"

I hate that folk think because I'm light (let's be honest, I'm close to transparent) I'm a stereotype. Ugh.

Luv said...

lol..i'm dark skinned so i know all light skinned sistahs ain't got it on lock cuz i know i am fierce.

but i feel you. it seems like everybody has been having this dialogue about how the paper bag test is still in effect...and um B has a nice body but her face, esp. when she not controlling her cockeyedness...yeah

but Tiny the Rat...exactly... and she has long hair and that still doesn't help her...but we see love is blind cuz T.I. be loving his Rat

JaG said...

picture example please

khaki la'docker said...

@ jag--- of?

Strongblkwmn said...

It's a shame that we're still color struck. I have a beautiful dark skinned daughter and her best friend is very light. A guy her friend knew asked her to hook him up with one of her girlfriends. When she introduced him to my daughter he pulled her aside and said, "I thought you were going to bring me somebody pretty and light like you." My daughter is 24 and extremely intelligent and strong but she was really hurt by the situation. I've been telling her how beautiful she is since she was born and she knows it but I guess some issues never go away.

It's sad.

☆Reese✮ said...

I had something to say about this but "mud duck, flat foot, split end, nappy track skin looking like braille light skin creatures" killed me! lol

I hate all the complexion stereotypes. I went through this growing up in NC, all the "you better stay out of the sun so you don't get dark" nonsense. And when I got "summa my daddy's color" lord, the uproar from some folk! F it, I don't see color when I look at people, I just see people!
I like to call myself a MochaLatte..no idea why..I just like it

simone_dior said...

THANK YOU!!!! *applause*
it is sad that black folks are still out here thinking that "light is always sexy." the beautiful thing about black ppl is that we come in several complections and they are all BEAUTIFUL.
and lmmfao@tiny looking like a badger!! she is friggin hideous! that's what color struck folks would call "yellow wasted" smdh

mzkiz said...

I hate people who think in such a ridiculous manner. It seems as if it only happens with black people, because we come in so many different colors.

Related Posts with Thumbnails