BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 8, 2009

"Thousands of babies die each year...

from ingesting baby oil" is what I read last night while doing a quick Internet search. I sat frozen as I tried to gather my thoughts to take my 15 month old son to the ER.

I got home after a long ass day at the plantation to Lurch telling me that my son had fluid coming from his butt.

Me: Fluid? What do you mean fluid?
Lurch: Like water or something mixed with shit or something...
Lurch's Mom: Are you sure it came from his butt?
Lurch: Yeah (uncertain tone)
Me: I'll check it out.

A couple hours go by and I'm cleaning up the kitchen and dining room area that looked like hell had ran through it and came across an empty baby oil bottle. This bottle was in my room almost full last night so I questioned why the hell it was empty. I text Lurch and ask what happened to the baby oil. Half an hour goes by and he calls and tell me that our son spilled it on the floor. I give him the side eye through the phone tell him I'd call him back.

After I feed my son, I take him upstairs for a bath and to change his pamper. I had notice him straining like he was trying to "push" something out so I assumed he was making a bowel movement. I go to change his pamper and see that his butt is covered in something greasy and the light bulb went off that my son, who eats whatever he picks up, had swallowed the baby oil. I see that my bed has some rather large oily stains on the sheets and i call Lurch back who tells me that he left Jay in my room to use the bathroom and when he came back he saw a puddle of oil on the floor. I ask if he checked to see if he swallowed any and he tells me "no".

Livid, I hang up the phone with him and do a quick google search to find out that many children each year die from ingesting baby oil. Apparently, if the oil is ingested and make it way to the child's lungs, it blocks the lungs from producing oxygen causing cardiac arrest. I couldn't contain myself as i called Lurch back and asked that he get to my house to take Jay to Urgent Care. My son was acting normal and couldn't understand why Mommy was crying and frantically searching for a health insurance card.

After spending time at Urgent Care and calling Poison Control, we were told that my son would be fine and it doesn't appear that the he inhaled the oil which could have resulted in death.

During my time dealing with this last night, I thought about what would have happened if I had lost my son. The thought was unbearable and I couldn't imagine waking up to not see my little angel laughing or saying "Mommy". My son is my everything and he is the reason that I push myself to be better and I cant "mess up" with him. He's my only shot at being a good mother as I am no longer able to have children anymore after a labor/delivery that went wrong and resulted in a hysterectomy.

All I can say is that I am blessed to have my son in my life and I am happy to say that he will be OK.

15 comments:

Unbreakable said...

I am so happy for you, yes you could have lost your son which would have been a devastating event.

All the best with your little prince

*stacie-ann said...

Oh my god that must have been devastating. I'm so glad he's okay & u did the right thing by taking him to Urgent Care, its what I would have done too. Girlllllll...these babiesss just don't know what we go through to get them here and then the hell we go through to keep them alive.

Good Mommy =) <3

Epitome said...

So glad little man is safe and sound and all he has is an overly moisturized butt :-)

BFrank84 said...

I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR OF THE OUTCOME..... :)

GOOD MOMMY

Krissy said...

God was watching over little man. I'm glad you handled things the way you did and so quickly. Keep it up. He's going to love you for it.

Eurydice said...

im glad your son is ok! That was a close call. life is crazy, don't stress what coulda/mighta happen.

Mista Jaycee said...

I'm so glad that the Baby Man is ok. God (IAM) Bless!

sunshinestar110 said...

So u know this mad me cry...but im so happy my Baby Jay is ok! god was watching over him

MISS BEE said...

glad everything was OK

Ms. Insatiable said...

Girl you got some folks seriously looking out for your child because that is serious business! My son is just 14 months old and my world! I totally understand where you are coming from. With him home with the flu, I have felt so helpless! And his father (although a good dude and father) is not on his shit about helping me.

Anyway, I say all that to say, I'm happy your son is safe and continue to pray over him. God will take care of the rest.

D.V. said...

gotdamn i cant imagine how it must feel. Good thing everything turned out ok.

.× azzy. ♥♥ said...

oh wow! i'm happy your son is okay as well. yes you are a darn good mother!

aRRe said...

God Bless you and your baby.
:( Im sorry you had to go throught that, but I'm happy that everything is okay!!

...can I fight Lurch tho lol, dahell he mean he aint check to see if lil man swallowed the oil. Men, man!

* ! zodiac ! * said...

THANK GOD HE IS OK! reading this post you had me really nervous, but i will tel you this, the fact that you care and pay attention to your baby makes you an awesome mommy

simone_dior said...

I am so glad the lil baby is ok! thank God!! and u were on it like a detective noticing the bottle was half empty and making the connection. supermama saves the day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails