BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Ready?


No, it's not. Try again Trey.


I swear on everything I own and love that I will gladly sell my soul to a midget to be with Trey Songz. Everything about this man just does it for me... his big pearly whites... his pristine hair cut... them roided up muscles he's now sporting... ere'thing. I've written about Trey (yeah, we on first name basis, taaaddaaa* ) a few times on my blog (check here and here) and y'all know how much I adore him as an artist, a singer, a lover...


Moving on... cuz this ain't even about what I'd do to him with 4 minutes, butter and leather straps (don't judge).


His new album Ready came out on Monday. I bought it on Tuesday, popped it in my cd player at work and was disappointed. Why? I don't know... but it just doesn't do it for me and I should've had a clue with that damn LOL :) song.


Damn, Trey... I waited how long for you to drop another Last Time or In the Middle and you hit with me "8043350051, LOL smiley face, LOL smiley face". No, Trey... Im not smiling and I'm not Lol'ing either. Aint nothing funny about that and when I call that number it goes to a damn voice message system. I checked.


The rest of the C.D is mediocre at best. On the fast songs, he sounds like he's trying too hard to have a Usher-yeah-club-banger song and the slower songs he, ironically, sounds like R. Kelly. Ready starts out slow with the Panty Droppa intro which gave me some hope for the rest of the album and built up the momentum with the other sexually induced lyrics of "Neighbors Know My Name" and "I Invented Sex".
Next, comes "I Need a Girl" and I immediately skip since I've heard it a million times on the radio and on comes "One Love" and I check the insert to see if this was written by Usher. I could probably listen to that song but... yeah... Next is "Does He Do It?" and I asked "Trey, did you do it? Did you really just ask me a million times if he does it?" SKIP and its get's worse with "Say Aah" and "LOL :)" . Just as I'm about to remove this and stomp on it with my flip flops... the CD changes pace again to the interlude "Ready to Make Luv" and I'm mellowed out by his falsetto and range. The "Ready to Make Luv" interlude is the perfect set up to "Jupiter Love", a track that Trey gives me the "damn i wanna fuck feeling" I've been waiting for since track "In the Middle". That song is my "In the Middle" part 2. Yes, Trey!


Next, up is "Be Where you Are" and the song starts out pretty nice and then I ended up giving the "chorus" the side eye. There's something about the melody that's really Kidz Boppish and I do just like that toy you used to put on your ankle... SKIP IT. "Successful" is next and Im still loving it- mainly because i like the flow, the melody and the beat, although simplistic, is sick. Trey's verse is a lovely addition to the constantly played radio track and I give him the thumbs up. Black Roses, comes on and I'm impressed by Trey's ability to rip this rock inspired track about a dying love that he compares to the death of roses. This is probably my favorite track on the whole album. It shows his growth and versatility as an artist and I like this Trey.


The end of the album is a rollercoaster ride of greatness and "what the fucks?". Like "Lost Love"- WTF? "Holla if ya Need Me"- although it sounds like a rip off of the Love in the Club remix- is a pretty dope song. Then one more stop on the rollercoaster ride with the Prince inspired track of "Yo Side of the Bed". Me no likey... not even a little bit.


I'd give the album a C+. Ready wasnt quite ready to hit the shelves. A better team of producers and writers may have done Trey some good. Enlisting the help of Kanye, The Dream or even Swizz Beats couldve been just what this album needed to pull the 100k weekly figures he was hoping for and take Trey to the next level that I think he was aiming for with Ready.


Of course, I love this man and will support him but I gotta call bullshit when I see bullshit and eh... ne'mind.

11 comments:

Krissy said...

ok see now that's a good review. I haven't heard this album yet but on some other sites if people aren't diggin the artist they won't give a good review or a review at all. Now I wanna hear it lol

khaki la'docker said...

Thanks Krissy... glad you liked.
Im a big trey fan but I gotta call it like I see it.

TheGurlNextDoor said...

I agree with this reivew, not soo sure about the butter and leather tho. lol. maybe he'll come out with a READY "re-loaded" if this one doesn't bring in the grammy money.
I too luv this dude with all of the above but he shoulda said Ready-Set-Go! I give it a 6..

Anonymous said...

IDK about Trey. He's cute though.

zodiac said...

wow babe, u seem VERY disappointed- love,zodiac

Strongblkwmn said...

I have Trey's album on my ipod but I haven't listened to it yet. I've always thought he was underrated. You have me wondering...

▲ FARRAH ▲ said...

Great review chica.. Now I know I'll think twice before purchasing this album, no matter how seductive his album cover is! lol.

Btw, thanks for following, and I loveeeee your blog background. Uber cool ;)

XO
Farrah
http://stylecrumbs.blogspot.com

.× azzy. ♥♥ said...

lol. don't kill me but say aah is my jam. lol but i feel you. i think the anticipation mixtape would have done a lot better. ready should have been the mixtape and vise versa. oh. still love trey though.

Epitome said...

YOU KNOW....I rides for Trey...he's a hometown homey actually making waves (unlike breezy whose catching cases n shit), he's cute, he can sang, and (up until recently) had good damn material...I've listened to the CD a couple times, and I have to agree, it's mediocre at best. I think the problem is (as with alot of artists) he's looking for the fame, and with what he was producing, it wasn't working fast enough. So he dumbs it down (commercializes it) and gives it to the world...viola...you have Ready.

I am in aggreance with you on Black Roses, song is on repeat in the whip, really no need to bother with the rest of the CD...it's maybe 4-6 bangers on the CD of 15 songs....and yes, I found myself thinking "is this Kellz?" more than a couple times.

Bang Bang said...

Damn everyone is disappointed with his album he's goofing smh. Everyone was ready for this new trey songz. If this album was good Drake anf him could of taken over the world, THE WORLD muhahahahahhaaaaaa.....
but this dude fumbled big time SMH
The only person LOL :) is Chris Brown.

Krissy said...

Chris brown ain't laffin. He's hanging his head in shame after that damn interview he did. I guess that's what happens when you let your bow tie do all the talking for you. *shrug* :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails